Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Its Happy. Proud.

There have been numerous things that made me happy such as making a new friend, feeling loved outside of family, theme parks, and visiting new landmasses. When I feel happy, I'am happy, like I smile and get all this energy and such. The happiest thing that has ever happened to me was the fact that I got my own drum set... well it sorta is and isn't but the for most part it is. My first encounter with the music world was when I was about four years old. I started to play the piano for about a year or so then quit. I then attended band class and started out as a clarinet player. I actually wanted to learn the violin but that wasn't available. My parents bought me actually both a clarinet and alto saxophone. So i played clarinet for one year then saxophone for the last two years of my middle school years. I will be honest that I did not like to play woodwind instruments, I thought it was boring. Everything changed when I saw my uncle play the drums. I started to play on his drum set and he taught me how to play it for the first few months. I grew happy that I learned the drums because it's a very diverse instrument with almost limitless possibilities. I felt like a natural behind the drum kit. At that time I didn't have my own kit in my house so the only time i got to play was when i visited him. A few months later my brother had brought in a drum set for his band practices. From that day on I played the drums almost everyday. I loved playing the drums because its an amazing instrument and really fun and also you get a good work out on your arms and shins. Whenever i get new drumsticks Im thrilled because that means more drum time for me! though I become sad when I crack a cymbal. When i first started playing a tended to break a lot of cymbals but now I improved my technique and havn't cracked a cymbal for about 2 years. I love everything about the drums: the sticks, cymbals, heads, shells, and also the percussive instruments. I have experimented with many drumstick sizes and companies and I have to say that so far I have been playing with Vater 3A's. It's a little shorter and fatter than the Vic Firth 3A's. For cymbals I have a mixed set of Zildjians and Sabians. My favorite crash so far is the O-zone crash. I have a 20" AAX O-zone crash. I just love the idea of the whole holes thing. Drumheads are remo. My snare is an emperor X and ambassador on a Pearl Sensitone snare, just like flo mouniers snare... I dont know about now because he has changed his kit set up quite a bit. I remember that when I first started the drums I have a fairly small kit. It was a 4 piece kit, snare, kickdrum, and 2 toms. I have 4 cymbals. Hi-hats, two crashes and a ride. Over a few months a upgraded to a slightly bigger kit: an extra tom and a few more cymbals. Then later on again I for the very first time have used a double bass pedal. Boy was that an experience! I had no idea that drums could have such a component. So from that day I always used a double bass set up whether it would be a double pedal or two bass drums with on pedal on each. I love the drums so much. It has shaped my life and also my arms and legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment